Friday, April 18, 2008

Writing I

Imagine you are a journalist for Blue Earth magazine. Write an interview with the leader of a Tuareg clan about their way of life in the desert.

The water problems our society has had during the last years are every year increasing more and more. In Blue Earth's January edition Sarah Parker interviewed the Spanish Minister for the Environment about this problem, and also in our last edition we talked about it in an article called "Green Sahara".
Today we are going to interview Mr. Fallak abd-el Hassik, the leader of one of the best known Tuareg clans in the desert our team visited.

Q: Good evening, Mr. Fallak, thank you for coming.
A: Oh it's a pleasure to be here.
Q: So, Mr. Fallack, as I understood you are the leader of a Tuareg clan.
A: Yes, that's right.
Q: And could you tell us how long you have been in such a clan?
A: Hmm... well, I've actually always been a Tuareg and I've always lived with them. But I've been the leader of my clan for about years, since my father's death. He also was a leader, you know?
Q: Aha, I see... And what do you have to do as a leader?
A: Well, basically you need to controle and organize your clan, and help them to learn how to survive in a desert.
Q: So you are a bit like a mum..!
A: (laughs) Well... Maybe a little bit, yes.
Q: Ok (smiles), and what about your way of life? Isn't it difficult to live in a desert?
A: Yes, definitely. But you get used to it, after a time.
Q: And where do you get your water from?
A: Normally from the cities, or when we come across a village. It depends. But we always use to have water with us, even if we can not abuse on it.
Q: Yeah, I suppose that. What about the extreme temperatures?
A: Oh... It's difficult, yeah. It's really hot during the day and it's sometimes almost impossible to continue walking. The sun really shine bright and strongly, so you must be really careful by choosing your clothes, you must try to cover nearly your whole body..!
Q: And does it ever rain there?
A: Rain? What's that?! (laughs). No, no, I'm joking. But honestly, it's really difficult to see rain there. I think I've only seen it once in my life!
Q: Only once? That's incredible!!
A: Well, for me it's normal.
Q: And could you imagine to live in a normal city, giving up your life as a Tuareg?
A: Hmm... actually not, no. But I'm sure that I'll have to do it in the long run, if the climate continues changing that much...
Q: Yeah, that's a problem everyone will need to face, sadly. Anyway, thank you very much, Mr. Fallak!




No comments: